The map below plots communities that are at risk of having an Emergency Manager appointed or already have one. Use the key below as a reference for the map icons.
View Emergency Manager: Dismantling Democracy in a larger map
Michigan’s Republican Governor Rick Snyder signed legislation giving him what many have called “dictatorial” powers. The much despised Emergency Manager law gives Snyder the power to hand pick emergency managers, who then have the authority to take the following actions:
- Consolidate or dissolve local governments and dismiss the officials elected by the people.
- Consolidate or dissolve school districts, close schools, and dismiss elected school board members.
- Sell off public property. Public. Property. Parks, buildings, licenses, permits, and so forth. All of it.
- Privatize government services, with all that entails.
- Shred all contracts agreed to by local governments and schools, including union contracts.
Want to know more? Check out the links and stories below:
- Best Practices in Local Government Fiscal Management
- Best Practices in Local Government Fiscal Management 2
- Corporations Behind Michigan’s Unconstitutional EFM Law, Including Amway and Koch Industries
- Michigan Department of Treasury: How a Financial Emergency Works
- Michigan Department of Treasury: Local Government Fiscal Health
- Michigan Department of Treasury: Emergency Manager Information