Applications Due: Monday, February 8, 2021
ProgressNow is a national network of affiliated state communications organizations focused on producing and delivering communications and earned media on behalf of the progressive community. Active in 25 states, ProgressNow state affiliates move to the rhythm of state politics while working around the 24-hour news cycle. We work closely with progressive infrastructure partners like State Voices, America Votes, and state
donor tables, as well as with locals, chapters and affiliates of prominent progressive organizations and labor unions, providing communications designed to create a more progressive state. The national organization’s mission is to facilitate, service and enhance the work of the state affiliates, including raising resources for them and connecting them with national partners and opportunities.
We know that not everyone has access to research-driven messaging tools for their work in progressive causes. But with and through ProgressNow and their state affiliates, the progressive community can use these tools and techniques to amplify their own messages and join in the chorus of the bigger progressive movement.
ProgressNow leads cutting edge digital programs and offers digital tools to all of our state affiliates. The state-based approach of ProgressNow affiliate’s communications work makes it more effective and more responsive to the organizations they work with on the ground.
There are four goals common to ProgressNow affiliates that the national organization supports:
- Build a stronger progressive movement in the states. Through networking and best practices, the ProgressNow national network supports the efforts of its state affiliates to build stronger progressive movements in their state.
- Win advances in progressive public policy. Working closely with other progressive organizations and the grassroots community, ProgressNow offers concerned citizens effective, easy and fun ways to make their voices heard on critical policy decisions that impact our quality of life.
- Generate hard hitting traditional, earned and digital media. ProgressNow supports state efforts to generate news coverage that shines the public spotlight on progressive solutions to real problems. We provide tools and expertise for affiliates to take their work to the next level.
- Increase civic participation and educate the public. ProgressNow states activate their members and ensure that the progressive voice is heard on issues that matter and work to educate the public about complex legislative issues that affect their communities.
The Executive Director Position
- Hire, manage, and direct the staff of the national organization.
- Regularly evaluate the work of the staff of the national organization.
- Work with the board to develop annual budgets and audits for the national organization.
- Oversee the organization’s financial systems and daily finances to ensure compliance and soundness.
- Take responsibility for raising the budget of the national organization, raising additional resources for state affiliates, and maintaining an appropriate financial reserve.
- Ensure adherence to standard human resource practices and the organization’s specific Personnel Policies.
- Provide guidance and leadership development for State Executive Directors and staff through the organizations yearly all-staff meeting and regular ED calls.
- Develop relationships with national and regional entities and funders to advance the work of the ProgressNow network of state affiliates.
- Represent the ProgressNow network in national convenings, securing partnerships and funding for the network and its state affiliates, either individually or for multi-state campaigns.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with national and state organizations in order to advance the goals of ProgressNow.
- Work with the board and state affiliates in preparing multi-year strategic plans for the organization.
- Provide expert guidance to state affiliates and engage the affiliate network and key progressive allies to advance state-based communications strategies, including:
- Creating and implementing research-based messaging and data to assist in developing communications campaign strategies
- Utilizing earned and social media, web based innovative technologies and other creative media outlets
- Assisting states with developing their communications programs
- Ongoing convening and engagement of the state affiliate network to provide mutual support, share best practices and advance organizational priorities
- Engage with key progressive allies to advance shared goals and communications strategies
- Work with the board and state-based donors and groups to identify potential new ProgressNow state affiliates.
- Report regularly to the leadership and the members of the organizations’ Boards of Directors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5-7 years experience in labor, issue, political or community organizing and campaign communications.
- Must possess direct working knowledge of ProgressNow and/or their state affiliates
- Experience working with Peoria profiles, or other values-based digital targeting strategies
- Experience with print, television, radio and online media outlets.
- Experience in a fast-paced campaign atmosphere is a must.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Experience as a non-profit or related manager.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Diplomatic and professional approach to problem-solving.
- A proven track record in fundraising, including grant writing, individual donor fundraising and management of small donor fundraising systems.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- Ability to work independently, exercising good judgment and discretion.
- Must be a self-starter
- Proven ability to manage staff remotely
Interested candidates, please apply by sending a single PDF document with the following information to EDSearch@progressnow.org:
- A letter describing your interest,
- Salary parameters and
- A detailed resume
The position is remote, with regular travel to Washington, D.C. expected. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, within the approved salary range for this position of $120,000 – $150,000.
ProgressNow is an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.