Rural Michigan Communications Coordinator
Progress Michigan is a non-partisan, non-profit progressive advocacy organization, government watchdog group, and communications hub for the entire progressive community in Michigan. We seek to make Michigan a more inclusive, sustainable, and equitable place for everyone.
We’re a marketing department for progressive ideas – a campaign that never stops. We’re looking for a full-time Rural Michigan Communications Coordinator who will work to advance our core mission. We have offices in Lansing and Detroit and are looking to continue to expand our presence and relationships with community groups in rural areas throughout the state.
- Lead Progress Michigan’s efforts to establish a presence in rural communities outside of major cities and population centers
- Meet with and develop relationships with community groups that share our values
- Help rural community organizations develop and implement communications strategies
- Develop relationships and contacts with rural media outlets
- Lead trainings to assist our partners in message and narrative development, social media, and media relations
- Write talking points, media advisories, press releases, OpEds, and other messaging materials
- Perform other duties as assigned
- This position will work remotely, and will require travel around the state and occasional travel to offices in Lansing and Detroit
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to produce clean writing without extensive editing required
- Experience in communications work, community organizing or political campaigns
- A self-starter who can work independently, but can also work well in a team dynamic
- Strong interpersonal skills, a sense of humor, and the ability to work in diverse settings
- A serious commitment to building progressive, intersectional, racial justice-oriented movements
- Knowledge of Michigan’s political landscape and issues that matter to the people of the state, or the ability to learn this information quickly
Progress Michigan offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on relevant experience.
Send your resume, cover letter, and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Rural Michigan Communications Organizer. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Progress Michigan is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, immigrants, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.