Schools Not Jails Organizer Position Description
Action of Greater Lansing is seeking an Organizer experienced in congregation-centered community organizing to recruit new membership and identify, train, and organize community leaders to address local and statewide education issues, including full and fair funding for K-12 public education.
The Schools Not Jails Organizer will work with the Lead Organizer and volunteer leaders to execute the mission of Action and must be: a strategic thinker, able to inspire others to act, willing to take risks, self-motivated, and have a deep desire to work for racial and economic justice in our society. Must have organizing experience and an intersectional approach to social justice. Bilingual, Spanish speaking preferred.
Schools Not Jails Organizer
- Coordinate education community table of minimum 22 leaders engaged in education justice work. Facilitate monthly meetings and biweekly calls of this table
- Coordinate Babies Over Billionaires filed plan for CD8
- Work with the Statewide Coordinator with Michigan Education Justice Coalition and other anchor organizations to plan and execute statewide strategy and activities
- Serve as spokesperson to other organizations and key community leaders on behalf of the Babies Over Billionaires campaign and ask for commitments from partners
- Recruit team leaders to join the Babies Over Billionaires campaign
- Manage and organize databases tracking volunteers, contacts, etc.
- Conduct at least 10 one-on-one conversations each week with leaders, potential new members, individuals in member organizations, public officials, community group representatives, and other key officials
- Coordinate and assist in the development of communication pieces, including a monthly e-newsletter, social media and website updates. Curate #SchoolsNotJails campaign platforms
- Assist Lead Organizer in grant monitoring and reporting, collecting task force metrics when needed
Action of Greater Lansing, incorporated in the state of Michigan in 1998 and re-constituted in 2011 as a Gamaliel network affiliate, is a non-profit community organization that fights for equity and justice in the Greater Lansing area. The ultimate goal of Action of Greater Lansing is to unite the various religious and secular organizations in the greater Lansing area as members of a faith-based community organization whose purpose is to achieve the well-being of all people in this area through a process of education, dialogue, and direct action. Visit www.actionofgreaterlansing.org for more information. Action of Greater Lansing is an affiliate of Gamaliel, an institution-based community organizing network with 45 affiliates in the United States.
This is a limited-term position through December 2020. Action of Greater Lansing has progressive sick and vacation time policies.We are unable to offer health insurance at this time.
People of color, LGBTQ+ people, women, formerly incarcerated people, and members of other marginalized communities are highly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a one page cover letter and a resume to Karalyn Grimes at email@example.com. Applications accepted on a rolling basis, position will remain open until filled.