The Michigan Nurses Association (MNA) is an active, growing labor union which represents thousands of nurses in hospitals, clinics and health departments across the state of Michigan.
MNA seeks an Associate Executive Director for Communications and Public Relations to manage all aspects of MNA’s external and internal communication. This includes member services and marketing; organizing, contract and other campaigns; and advocating the union’s goals and objectives to the public, key decision makers and MNA members.
Supervision/management of communications staff.
Develop and execute strategies to create and uphold a positive public image for nurses and the Michigan Nurses Association.
Responsible for message development, creative content, and implementation of all aspects of MNA’s communication; including publication of flyers, brochures, leaflets, direct mail, web pages, electronic newsletters, and social media posts.
Seek earned media opportunities; plan, organize and implement press events; serve as the primary press contact for MNA.
Craft television, radio, print, digital and other advertising.
Track and evaluate communication activities to assess effectiveness, cost efficiency and other metrics.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Seven (7) or more years of communications/public relations experience and two (2) years’ experience in personnel and project management.
- Strong writing skills in a variety of mediums, including print, video, online publication, and social media. Experience in graphic design.
- Excellent media relations skills with demonstrated positive results.
- Strong project management skills. Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments.
- Proven leadership and management skills in a labor union or nonprofit organization.
- Exceptional judgment in decision-making and working relationships. Demonstrates strong emotional intelligence in interactions and communications. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Other requirements: Travel expected; must have car available and valid driver’s license.
Other combinations of education and experience which could provide the necessary knowledge and skills will be evaluated on an individual basis.