Progress Michigan’s mission is to provide a strong credible voice that holds public officials and government accountable, assists in the promotion of progressive ideas and uses cutting-edge digital media strategies to creatively build grassroots support for progressive issues.
We’re a megaphone for progressive ideas – a campaign that never stops. We’re looking for a communications specialist to join our growing team and work to advance our core mission.
Progress Michigan has offices in Lansing and Detroit, but we have statewide reach. This position will be based in Detroit.
This is an entry-level position with compensation based on qualifications and experience.
- Assist with development of communications materials, including talking points, media advisories, press releases and opinion pieces across a variety of issue areas
- Staff events related to media outreach, partner trainings, and government functions
- Utilize social media to push a progressive message and assist partners with similar work
- Train activists in best practices for interacting with legacy and digital media
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong writing skills are a must-have with the ability to produce content quickly and accurately
- A basic knowledge progressive and politics issues going on in Michigan
- Understand how to use social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Public speaking skills or the willingness to learn
- The ability to work in independently, but also in a team environment
- A passion for creating a more progressive, welcoming, sustainable and equitable Michigan
Progress Michigan is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Send an email with cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Communications Specialist 2019. Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.