Position: Planned Parenthood Community Organizer
Position Status: Full-Time
Location: Ann Arbor/Lansing
Manager: Dani Vilella
Job Summary: Seeking field organizers to implement Planned Parenthood 501c(3) and 501c(4) advocacy and activist initiatives to coordinate strategic grassroots organizing efforts, conduct extensive community outreach, and build a robust volunteer and supporter base in key geographic regions. Ideal candidates must exhibit the following skills and abilities: deep commitment to organizational mission, high levels of flexibility in schedule and task management, strong communication skills, the ability to work independently and be highly self-motivated, demonstrate creative problem-solving and excellent professional judgment, possess resiliency and ability to work in a rapidly changing and high stress environment, and have a sense of humor. This position requires significant contact with the public and serves as the face of PPMI and PPAM in local communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Under direction of the Advocacy and Political Field Manager, implements and executes grass-root campaigns and other initiatives to increase organizing capacity and civic engagement within a specified geographic region.
• Implements and executes initiatives designed to recruit and increase the number and commitment of pro-women’s health activists in Michigan. • Actively participates in tabling, volunteer recruitment, public speaking, and other visibility opportunities.
• Responsible for directing activities of supporters and volunteers, volunteer engagement, and activities that support awareness and advocacy campaigns including, but not limited to, phone banking, door-to-door canvassing, outreach events, activist nights, community education presentations, volunteer training, coalition work, health center advocacy support, college campus organizing, fundraisers, grassroots lobbying and legislative education effort, and special projects.
• Responsible for directing activities of volunteer programs including Health Center Advocacy Program (HCAP), Clinic Escorts, Legislative Action Teams (LATs), Volunteer Leadership Groups, Generation Action Groups.
• Works with teens and Peer Educators in partnership with PPMI Education staff to build civic engagement among young people.
• Responsible for executing electoral ground campaign objectives in target districts to persuade voters and increase voter turnout – including large-scale paid and volunteer door-to-door canvassing programs and phone banking, managing teams of canvassers, utilizing Voter Activation Network (VAN) technology to manage turf, script writing, and electoral messaging.
• Establish, maintain and expand upon existing relationships and create new alliances with state and local coalitions and allied organizations to strengthen visibility, credibility and mobilization efforts.
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge of political and legislative issues impacting the mission of the organization as well as effective political grassroots campaign tactics and methodologies.
• Responsible for regular reporting and communication of organizing efforts and results to manager.
• Fluency and competence with multiple web platforms, social media organizing, and email and online communications.
• Operates standard office equipment and uses required software applications.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• This position works remotely.
• Community Organizing Experience (campus organizing, political organizing, previous volunteer organizing experience)
• Community Service and or Customer Service experience
• Previous Volunteer experience
• Minimum Degree Required: Bachelor’s Degree
• Required Disciplines: Political Science, Community Organizing, Sociology, Women & Gender Studies or related field ~OR~ At least 2 years of relevant experience with a demonstrated commitment to reproductive health issues and citizen based social change. Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by hiring decision makers.
To be consider for an internal position, employees must complete the Internal Job Opening or Transfer Request and apply for the position through the company website at https://www.plannedparenthood.org/planned-parenthood-michigan