We seek a leader to be part of the executive team of a growing and energetic statewide union of educators. The Controller is responsible for guiding the organization’s financial trajectory, supporting approximately 100 local unions across the state, and maintaining relationships with contractors and other organizations.
Job duties include:
- Oversight of all financial functions of the union;
- Leading the budget preparation and financial planning process;
- Overseeing billing and financial record-keeping;
- Ensuring compliance with government regulations and tax reporting;
- Producing regular financial reports;
- Managing relationships with contractors;
- Working with staff and locals to build a stronger AFT Michigan centered on the organizing model of trade unionism;
- Helping affiliated local unions establish of sound financial practices;
- Coordinating networks of local union treasurers and financial analysts;
- Supervising assigned staff and working with executive team to coordinate human resource policies;
- Maintaining a well-run office;
- Management of special projects; and
- Other duties as assigned by the President.
Successful applicants will have most of the following qualifications:
- Independent project management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- BA in accounting or finance
- Five years of relevant experience
- General computer literacy and proficiency in Excel, QuickBooks, etc.
- Ability to teach others the basics of financial management
- Experience managing staff in a union/non-profit organization
- Ability to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Commitment to the ideals of the labor movement
- Willingness to work long hours, including weekends when necessary
Competitive salary and excellent benefits. AFT Michigan is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBT community and other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Send cover letter and resume by email to David Dobbie at email@example.com with “AFT Michigan Controller” in the subject line.